Saturday, July 15, 2006

Festivals, Festivals, and More Festivals

It's been a while since I've written anything here and that's due to the fact that I've been playing the festival waiting game. I've been waiting to hear back from festivals I applied to which require that the film has not been previously been screened at other festivals in the same region.

I've heard back from most of those festivals and I've been rejected from all of them (at least the ones I've heard from), so I've started widening the net. I've applied to about 30 festivals by this point and have another whopping 150 festivals I am considering applying to. It all takes time and money, so I'm trying to stagger the process.

I've been told by more than one person that The Changeling is at least as good, if not better, than a lot of what's out there at festivals, but so far festival programmers don't seem to think so. A lot of it is that the film doesn't fit into any simple categories. And it's certainly not trendy and has no name actors or flashy set pieces. And I don't have any high powered (or even low powered) agent out there trying to sell it for me. That said, I hope to get some bites from this next round. I'll report more as soon as I get any news.